Often, an abortion seems like the simplest, quickest solution to a difficult problem. But we have read the research. And we have talked to many women who discovered that an abortion decision didn’t make the struggle or the pain go away. We know that women and men have experienced very real symptoms after an abortion decision–emotional pain that in many cases was unexpected. We don’t have a quick fix, but we do have people who are trained to offer support, who have been there and have recovered.
Making the decision to ask for help dealing with a past abortion decision can be one of the most difficult decisions you’ll make. Our abortion recovery support group offers support, information, and a safe place to begin to heal. Read through these questions to see if you may have symptoms of post-abortion trauma. If you recognize symptoms of struggles you’ve experienced since your abortion, and you feel stuck, you may need help recovering. Let us help. Send us a private, confidential message to get more details about our next abortion support group or to talk to someone.
- Have you changed as a person since your abortion? (Yes or No) What were you like before your abortion? How are you different now?
- If your sister or best were thinking about having an abortion, would you tell her not to have one? (Yes or No)
- Did you have your abortion in spite of believing it was wrong at the time? (Yes or No)
- Check any of the following problems that have bothered you since your abortion:
- I struggle with eating disorders.
- I find myself in abusive relationships.
- I’m having more frequent unprotected sexual activity.
- I’m using drugs and/or alcohol to distract myself from my pain.
- I often feel so sad that I can’t handle my responsibilities.
- I often think about hurting myself.
- I keep having the same nightmare over and over.
- Do you shut down or feel numb when you’re in a highly emotional situation? (Yes or No)
- Do you experience explosive emotions? (Yes or No)
- Has your relationship with God changed since your abortion? (Yes or No) If yes, in what way?
- Do you feel that you must hide your abortion or your feelings about it? (Yes or No)
- Have your relationships with men changed? (Yes or No) If yes, in what way?
- Do you avoid people or situations that remind you of your abortion? (Yes or No)
- Did someone pressure you into having the abortion? (Yes or No) If yes, what is your relationship like with that person now?
- Do you feel like you’re all alone with the emotional pain you are feeling?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, you may be experiencing post-abortion syndrome. Deciding to seek help may be one of the toughest decisions you have made. But it may be one of the best. Let us help.